Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Event 1 I UCLA ArtSci Exhibit at the CNSI

A couple weeks ago I had the opportunity to visit the UCLA ArtSci exhibit put on at the CNSI by a few of my fellow undergrads.  It seemed the perfect chance to see some of the actual work we had been studying in DESMA9 as well as support my peers. I discussed with some of the presenters about their experiences and many of them were science students who sought to tap into the third culture to maintain a creative outlet in the midst of their studies.

A Flier for the UCLA ArtSci Organization


One of the presenters that I met was Christina Kong. Her project was called “The Brain-Book” and involved making a flipbook in the shape of a brain.  Each section was divided into the major sections of the brain and the cartoons in each flipbook depicted the function of each region. We talked about the amount of effort she had to put in to portray each function and to be honest, I did not understand how she pulled it off on top of all her other obligations as a student. As a microbiology student, I do not get much exposure to this kind of information and Christina’s project made it both easy and fun to learn.

Me, Christina Kong, and her work, "The Brain Book"


Another project on display that interested me was “Crossroads” by Mickey Shi. Unfortunately, Mickey was not present while I attended but the description of the work was straightforward enough. People at the exhibit used pieces of yarn to denote their path through campus that day.  Seeing the paths cross from north to south campus depicted the prevalence of both the humanities and the sciences in the lives of the UCLA student.

Another piece of work that I enjoyed, "Crossroads" by Mickey Shi


In all, the ArtSci exhibit proved an exciting first event for me as I got to meet different artists who represented the material we learned about in class. I did not fully understand the effort that went in to being a part of this frontier in the art and science world so meeting some fellow students definitely put the movement into perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment