Thursday, June 4, 2015

Event 2 I Provocations

After class, my friends and I decided to make our first trip to the Hammer Museum of our undergraduate careers in order to check out the Provocations Exhibit. The work featured there was created by Heatherwick Studio, an architecture/design group led by Thomas Heatherwick. The studio follows a collaborative and creative process when designing anything leading to the unique pieces we saw there.

Me at the Exhibit Entrance

The Heatherwick Studio philosophy when creating anything focuses on the “human scale” as they put it. They wanted their work to be centered on the people that would be using it.  From handbags to buildings, their designs centered on this idea.  This philosophy, combined with their approach to the architectural process led to some of the most unique building models I have ever seen.


The stuff on display ranged from designs for a multi-spiraled building to handbags.


The way that each model was one of a kind baffled me at points. As I wondered about the artist’s intent in creating certain statues out of tin foil and how cool a two story desert oasis park would be to visit, I remembered the actual title of the exhibit, Provocations. Each piece at the exhibit provoked some sort of thought in me.  Additionally, the whole process of designing each piece depended on provoking and challenging the team.

Me by some sculptures I didn't fully understand.


Ultimately, the way in which the Heatherwick Studio approached their designs reminded me of how creativity and technology can meld to create amazing things, the theme of our class. These architects used the conventional methods for construction and melded them with an artistic influence that led to such works of art as the Cauldron at the 2012 London Olympic Games.

No comments:

Post a Comment