Sunday, June 7, 2015

Extra Credit Event 1 I Discovery Cube OC

For this event, I decided to try something different and head out of LA to check out the Discovery Cube in Orange County. My first impression as I drove by and saw the massive cube structure was that the building itself was a work of art that publicized science. Although the museum was built as an education tool for children, I couldn’t help but be excited to check out the inside.
My outside view of the Cube as I drove by
Unfortunately, my visit was just a few days short of checking out the new exhibits as the center was preparing to open it’s new expansion and my phone died as I prepared to enter so I couldn’t capture all the photos I wanted. Despite these set backs, there was still a ton to see. There were different sections dedicated to a variety of scientific and technological concepts from global ecology to rocket ships. These exhibits are tailored to make children scientifically literate and you could feel their excitement and interest as they ran around trying every set up they could get their hands on.
                                             
                Me preparing to enter the Discovery Cube

I feel that places like the Discovery Cube are a perfect example of how art and science can be melded in order to advance public knowledge. A ton of scientific concepts were put on display in aesthetically pleasing, interactive exhibits in a way that made kids excited to play and learn. Getting children into science early on using art is important in ensuring the development of a scientifically literate population.
The Dino Quest exhibit outside of the Discovery Center

No comments:

Post a Comment